Wondering what is the best vacuum for carpet? Unlike with hard floor, a carpeted floor has room to trap dust, dirt, and debris, along with pet hair and bacteria. Whether your carpet is low pile, high pile or you just have a house full of rugs, choosing to buy the right vacuum cleaner can go a long way to keeping your home clean and healthy. Let’s take a look at this year’s top-rated picks for vacuum cleaners best suited for your carpeted floor.
1. Shark Professional Navigator Upright Vacuum Cleaner
Despite the many types of vacuums cleaners on the market, upright vacuums are known for being the best type for carpets. That’s why this list starts off with the Shark Professional Navigator Upright Vacuum Cleaner. It performs excellently when it comes to sucking tangled pet hairs and fine debris out of your carpet. With a brush roll that can’t be turned off, this vacuum cleaner works best on a carpeted floor. Its versatile design allows it to be converted into a hand vacuum, and it features a removable nozzle, crevice tool, dusting brush, pet hair tool and extension wand, so you can easily perform a total house cleaning. It’s easy to maneuver, comes with washable filters and has quite a long power cord. Because of the great balance between quality and price, this is our pick for the best vacuum for carpet.
2. Miele Complete C3 Cat & Dog Canister Vacuum Cleaner
While some believe that uprights are the way to go when it comes to cleaning carpet, there are some canisters out there that do the job really well. The Miele Complete C3 Cat & Dog Canister Vacuum Cleaner is one such canister vacuum cleaner that does great on both carpet and hard floors, making it one of the most exciting new additions to the vacuum cleaner market. It’s great for pet hair removable and is incredibly easy to use. Weighing in at 19 pounds, it features a turbo brush head and a charcoal odor filter specifically for reducing pet odors. Its cleaning head is designed to get to tough, hard to reach areas, and it traps all the allergens and dust it collects in its 4.76-quart self-sealing bags. This is a high-end vacuum and it’s priced accordingly, but this super vacuum will serve you faithfully for the next 20 years.
3. Miele Dynamic U1 Cat & Dog Upright Vacuum
Another one by Miele for the ranks of best pet hair cleaners, this one is an upright vacuum cleaner. Formally known as the Miele Jazz S7280, this one is a dream for pet owners. Like the C3, it features a turbo brush head and odor filter, self-sealing bags and powerful performance. It also features a two-motor system, swivel neck technology, a LED headlight system, motorized brush bar, a 39-foot long power cord and a seven-year motor warranty. It’s the best choice for allergy sufferers and pet owners alike, because of its 9 stage filter system for its 5.45 quart Air Clean dust bags. You can also buy a HEPA filter for it. Its telescopic wand and hose, plus other attachments, assist in making this vacuum more than just a carpet cleaning tool, but one that you can use to clean your entire house. This vacuum fares on the medium range of Miele’s high-end vacuums, and you can click here for the current best price on Amazon.
4. Shark Rotator Pro Lift-Away
Versatile and powerful vacuum cleaners is what Shark is known for, and with the Shark Rotator Pro, there is no exception. Great for people buying on a budget, this fine vacuum can switch between an upright and a canister vacuum, for ease of use and portability. It features a pivoting head, headlights, suction control and a wand, flexible crevice tool, multipurpose tool, straight suction floor nozzle, power bush, a wide upholstery tool and dusting brush. That’s an amazing amount of attachments and features for a vacuum cleaner that only costs $200. It isn’t exactly the most powerful vacuum on the market, but for its price, you can’t really go wrong and you still get a professional quality cleaning for your carpet.
5. Bissell CleanView with OnePass Technology
Another affordable upright vacuum, this one is a top budget pick for good housekeeping. It’s great for picking up pet hair and embedded dirt from carpet, which is important to consider when buying a vacuum. It has good air performance and it rather quiet while vacuuming, unlike most other upright vacuums. It features powerful suction power and OnePass technology, which basically means that it picks up the most with the least effort. It comes with washable filters, a turbo brush, long pipe hose and a 25 foot long nonretractable power cord. While this is made to work best on carpet, it is also good for total house cleaning, thanks to its attachments. The best part is, you can actually often grab this upright vacuum cleaner for less than a hundred bucks on Amazon.
6. Dyson Ball Multi Floor 2 Canister Vacuum
A deep cleaning canister vac that features some of the most powerful suction. It’s certified asthma- and allergy-friendly, and it can clean both carpet and hardwood floors. Here’s a video of this power-house in action:
Best Vacuum for Carpet Honorable Mentions
While these above vacuum cleaners comprise the top six best vacuum cleaners for performance on carpet, there are a few others that would make the list of the top ten. Here they are:
7. Hoover WindTunnel Air UH70400 – A lightweight upright vacuum cleaner that works on various floor surfaces, but is best for getting pet hair out of a carpet. It features HEPA filters and is easy to steer.
8. Dyson V6 Motorhead – Featuring a direct-drive bristled head that reaches deeply into carpet floor surface, this stick vacuum gives you much more carpet cleaning power than the original Dyson V6.
9. Dyson Cinetic Big Ball Animal – A beast at cleaning pet hair out of carpet floors, this Dyson model features excellent suction power with its Dyson Cinetic science, which focuses on continuous movement to prevent microscopic dust from building up inside the vacuum and blocking its airflow. This means, it never loses suction.
10. Eureka AirSpeed – An inexpensive upright bagless vacuum best for thick, high pile carpets, although it claims it can glide easily over many floor surfaces.
11. iRobot Roomba – Lastly, this list wouldn’t be complete without a robotic vacuum cleaner. Not the best for pet hairs, but it’s a great tool to have cleaning your carpet when you want to do the least amount of work. Take a look at our comparison of the best-selling robot vacuums.